Friday, August 14, 2009

Review: Z Lager

Fort Collins is a new arrival in Florida. Total Wine & More stocks several of their beers. I had to pick up the smoked one, Z Lager.

Smoked beers are a fairly old style, since historically all grain was malted over wood fires, imparting a smoky flavor to the grain. The first time I had a smoked beer (Rogue's Chipotle Ale) I thought it was the worst beer I'd ever had. But the smoky flavor grew on me and now I love the style. The level of smoke flavor varies from brewery to brewery.
My notes:
This pours a nice copper/mahogany in color with an off-white head that reduces to a thin layer of foam.
Its aroma is lightly smoky.
The taste is also lightly smoky, with a nice malt flavor. It's balanced and not a big smoky mess.
Smooth and creamy body.
Overall this is a nice smoked beer that's subtle enough to be a beer to drink regularly and introduce people to the style.

No comments:

Post a Comment