Sunday, October 11, 2009

Review: Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale


I bought a 32-ounce growler of Cigar City's Maduro Oatmeal Brown Ale at the brewery when I visited it on Oct. 2. I drank the beer several days ago.

The review

It pours a deep brown in color with a large sticky head. The smell is of toasted and roasted grain: coffee, molasses and chocolate notes.

The roasted smell carries over to the taste. Bread flavors mix with light tastes of chocolate and espresso.

The body is nice and creamy, probably thanks to the oatmeal.

This is another good beer from Cigar City and one that's the most approachable and balanced. Jai Alai IPA is my favorite Cigar City beer, closely followed by Improvicasion.

As far as I know this beer is only sold in kegs. They told me at the brewery that since they bottle in 750 mL bottles only, they would not be able to price this beer low enough for it to sell, considering it's their most "normal" beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment