Friday, June 12, 2009

Cigar City and Anderson Valley at Whole Foods

To follow up on my previous post, I went to the Whole Foods in Sarasota today and they also had Cigar City's 110K+OT in stock. $13 for a 750 mL bottle.

They also had four beers from Anderson Valley Brewing Co., a great California brewery. They've been making beer for years but are a new arrival in Sarasota. Whole Foods had Hop Ottin' IPA, Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema, Brother David's Abbey Double and Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. The IPA and stout are very good; I haven't tried the others.

I was also very happy to see that Whole Foods still had some of Terrapin's excellent Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout in stock. A four-pack of 12-ounce bottles are $12. Here are some of my notes on it:

It's a lovely black with a nice deep brown head. The smell is great. Big coffee and chocolate notes.

The taste: Wow. This totally lives up to the hype. It's creamy and sweet, but not cloying. The coffee flavors are big, but there are no tannin notes of bad coffee. I just realized that this is a stronger stout. Its strength is very well-hidden. There are no notes of alcohol or solvent flavors.

Overall this is a fantastic stout and one of the best I've ever had. Seek it out: You won't be disappointed.

The beer scene in Florida continues to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment