Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Review: Little Sumpin' Sumpin'

A co-worker gave me a bottle of this beer from Lagunitas Monday night. She bought it on sale at Whole Foods in downtown Sarasota. And it was cold, so I just had to drink it after the shift.

Lagunitas, from Petaluma, Calif., generally makes beers with pronounced hop flavors. They're the perfect example of a West Coast brewer. Their beers are also known for the crazy notes printed on them and on the six-pack holders. As a copy editor, the notes can drive me crazy since they read like stream-of-consciousness drivel. Anyway, I'm not going to fault a brewery for that. The real issue is that they brew some mean beers.

Lagunitas describes Little Sumpin' Sumpin' as "way smooth and silky with a nice wheaty-esque-ish-ness." I see.

My notes:
It's a bright gold in color with a sticky head.

It has a great hoppy aroma. Huge citrus and sweet notes bombard my nose.

The taste is all about the hops. Herbal, grassy and citrus flavors all mix with a good bitterness, but not in a hit-you-over-the-head way. Thryn said this reminds her of a lighter Hopslam, and I agree. I can't detect the wheat malt in this.

The body is light, slick and oily.
I like this beer. It's a good hoppy beer that could lead people down the dark path toward my favorite style -- Double IPA.

1 comment:

  1. Now you must try the Hop Stoopid. So good. I ended up giving Danny one of those Sumpin's as well (he was saying a good beer after the shift would be a nice way to start his vacation). I am the beer fairy!

    For my part, last night was the Southern Hemisphere Harvest (very good -- I didn't re-review because it's no different from the '08) and Smuttynose Maibock (kinda meh, but I think I'm just not big on the style. didn't review it for that reason).

    Guess I should stop being lazy and blog my beers!

    ReplyDelete