Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tea and beer

I was just drinking some iced Tazo Spicy Ginger tea and it reminded me that herbs can be used in beer with just as much success.

I wish I could get some Chamomile Ale from Rogue (a great brewery on the Oregon coast) right now. It's great. The chamomile really works in beer and gives it a tea-like quality. Many of Rogue's beers make it here to Florida, but Chamomile Ale isn't one of them.

Here's part of my review from September 2003:
It's a golden ale with a light white head. It has an herbal aroma, obviously from the chamomile. I wonder if there are any hops in this at all? I could see just brewing it with chamomile for the same bittering purpose.

This is a very different ale, especially considering it's from Rogue. It has a very tea-like flavor, unlike any beer I've had before. Quite an herbal spice taste and finish! Anyone who enjoys tea should try this ale. It could be a great crossover beer.

It's not as powerful as other Rogues. More of a beer for session drinking.
Come on Rogue, bring that beer to the Southeast!

No comments:

Post a Comment